Skip to content

Reporting cybercrime

If you think you have been the victim of cybercrime and you want to report it, you need to know who to report it to.

Have you experienced cybercrime?

If you've experienced cybercrime you may feel like you're facing a powerful and invisible attacker. You might feel angry, fearful or sick, under siege in your own home and powerless to defend yourself, even if you are computer literate.

People often feel embarrassed or ashamed if they are tricked into becoming a victim of cybercrime, and blame themselves for not doing more to protect themselves. Remember - you're not to blame – only the offender is responsible for the crime taking place, and you have no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed.

Everyone reacts differently, but it's not uncommon to feel:

  • less trusting and believe that everyone is trying to trick you out of your money, personal details or identity
  • concerned that your child is being ‘groomed’ when the contact may be innocent
  • that someone is intentionally trying to damage your property by contaminating your computer with malware
  • as though your 'personal space' has been invaded and that your life has been tainted, controlled or manipulated by a stranger
  • a lack of confidence when using a computer or the internet, and unsure who to call for help

If you've been affected by cybercrime and need confidential emotional support or advice on what to do next, you can contact Derbyshire Victim Services, who provide a free, confidential support service. The service is available from 8am to 8pm on Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 1pm on a Saturday. Tel: 0800 6126505 or text ‘COREDVS’ to 82228.

How to report cybercrime

Phishing or suspicious emails should be forwarded to the National Cyber Security Centre's Suspicious Email Reporting Service (SERS) email:

You can report fraud, attempted fraud, cybercrime and receive a police crime reference number, to the national fraud reporting service, Action Fraud.

If you want to report any other sort of online crime such as stalking, harassment or fears about online grooming, contact Derbyshire Police tel: 101.

To report offensive or abuse behaviour on social media, use the report tool within the website or app. You can find out how to do this from Report Harmful Content.

Any concerns about the safety of a child, in relation to online activity, should be reported to Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190 or tel: 01629 532600 (out of hours).

If you discover an online image or video of child sexual abuse, please report it online to the Internet Watch Foundation.

If you are worried about online child sexual abuse, you can report it online to Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command (CEOP).

Young people who need advice about their online concerns can speak to Childline tel: 0800 1111.