Cybercrime is any crime that involves a computer, the internet or related technology.
Many traditional crimes are now committed online. Basically if the behaviour is unacceptable offline, it is also unacceptable online.
Examples of cybercrime could include:-
How to protect yourself from cybercrime
There are lots of simple steps you can take to improve your online safety and reduce your risk of becoming a victim of cybercrime.
Derbyshire County Council and Derbyshire Constabulary have developed the Digital MOT, which is a cyber security assessment. In less than 5 minutes, we'll tell you the most important things you can do to protect yourself online.
Here are some websites that contain good advice and information about how to stay safe online:
- Get Safe Online is supported by Derbyshire County Council, Derbyshire Constabulary and Derby City Council
- Cyber Aware is a government-backed website based on expert advice from the National Cyber Security Centre
- Childnet and NSPCC are national charities providing expert online safety advice for young people, parents and teachers
- Parent Zone provides online safety advice for parents
- East Midlands Cyber Secure contains police online safety videos, with British Sign Language